Analysis of Performance
As of Q3 2019: this measure was changed from Percentage of Time Police Priority 1 Calls Responded to Within 5 Minutes 30 seconds to Average Response Time with a target of 5 minutes 30 seconds. This change shows the actual average response time instead of a percentage.
- This is a quarterly metric, currently reflecting Q3 2020 data.
- Q3 2020 results indicate that the average response time was 4 minutes and 45 seconds. This is well below the target of 5 minutes and 30 seconds.
- We will continue to look for methods to evaluate the effectiveness of our resources. Response time, measured in minutes and seconds, provides a framework to do this.
- A daily review is performed for any Priority 1 calls and a monthly reconciliation is also conducted. These allow us to evaluate the data integrity and more closely examine any unusually long response times.
- Better evaluation and closer scrutiny of the calls shows response times are near the target more often than originally thought.
- Specialty unit personnel supplement Patrol shifts for better staffing and supervisors are guiding the efficient use of time on calls to maximize officer availability.
Why Is This Important?
City Organization Impact on Performance
High – Emergent response is a primary function of police. Having adequate resources, strategic deployment of those resources and maintaining reasonable geographic obligations greatly impacts response times.